Reading is a solitary and subjective thing sometimes, and I think everyone imagines the world of the books slightly differently. A lot of the time my imagination is bigger and better than whatever Hollywood can create, and so I usually prefer reading the book to watching the film.
Having said that though- there are a few films which I think were even better than the book.
Lord of the Rings felt so much grander and more magical on the screen than between the pages, and I thought that the films kept all the heart and drama, but cut out a lot of the waffle and poetry from the books.
The Jane Austen Book Club I thought was sweeter as a film than as a book.
I liked The Hunger Games as well because it was so very faithful to the book.
And I never would have found I Am Number Four, if not for the film- and now I love this series.
2013 seems to be the year of the book to movie adaptation. Although this is sometimes a good thing as it encourages even more publicity and excitement over certain books- and sales of the books go up after a film comes out (more people reading books is always a good thing) sometimes it is quite scary to think that a director's vision or choice of actor, or a badly written screenplay will completely ruin what you thought of as a fantastic book.
This is just my opinion- but these are some movies that I thought were truly awful adaptations of fantastic books.
- The Golden Compass-adaption of Northern Lights by Philip Pullman- (in my opinion this is one of the best series of books ever written)- don't bother watching the film it is DIRE!
- Eragon by Christopher Paolini
- City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
- Harry Potter by J.K Rowling. (yes, I know).
- Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
- Beastly by Alex Flinn
- How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell
One of the films coming to cinemas this year is City of Bones, and it is terrifies me. I LOVE these books- how are they ever go to do them justice on the screen?
Here is the movie trailer for it- I have to say, it doesn't make me any less nervous. What do you think of it?
Another one that I'm 50% excited to see and 50% scared they'll ruin it is The Host. I love this book because it is so emotional, and I loved the characters, and again I'm not sure quite how it will translate onto the screen. This film is scheduled to release in August this year
Warm Bodies is a quirky zombie romance book ("zombie" and "romance"- two words that you would never expect to see in a sentence together, but I swear it works) that I really enjoyed because it is so witty. This is due for release in cinemas in February this year.
And finally- Beautiful Creatures adapted from the novel by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This is due for release in February 2013. It looks very dramatic! What do you think?
Casting has started for the film adaptation of Divergent by Veronica Roth, another favourite book of mine and the film rights have also been bought for-
- Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
- The Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck
- The Maze Runner by James Dashner
- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
- Septimus Heap by Angie Sage
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
- Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
- Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- Blood Red Road by Moira Young
- The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
- Matched by Ally Condie
- The Selection by Keira Cass (TV series)
with the possibility that movies could be coming from these books as well.
My plea: Directors/ producers- please don't butcher my favourite books!